Sunday, April 27, 2008

a new unit: The Wikipedia

question, of 'how do people find the time to contribute to free projects?'
answer: they're watching less tv...
we now have a unit that defines the attention span of a group: the wikipedia, which is the amount of person-hours of thought invested in wikipedia, about 100 million hours. there's about 2000 wikipedia's spent watching TV each year in the US. **each year**!
http://www.herecomeseverybody.org/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html

Personally I don't watch very much TV anymore. I go to the movies and watch DVD's occasionally, but I try to avoid actually watching TV because I find it an almost complete waste of time (with notable exceptions like Chasers war on everything, the daily show etc).

So what do I do with all this extra time? (I used to spend 20-30 hours a week watching TV). Well, mainly i use it to hang out with Real People (tm) instead of the idiot box. I think this is a good thing. If you find yourself watching an hour or more of TV a day several times a week, then take the pepsi challenge, pack your TV up and do away with it for a month. you'll be surprised what will happen, maybe you'll reconnect with your friends or spouse or kids, maybe you'll just get the motivation to go for that exercise you've been meaning to do. try it...

No comments: